PUBLIC RECORDS REQUEST GUIDELINES
The Smithfield School Department has instituted the following procedure to help you obtain public records:
- The contact person for public records is the Superintendent of Schools. The telephone number is 231-6606.
- The regular business hours of the School Department are 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Please submit a written Public Records Request and it will be given to the Superintendent of Schools.
- The School Department may ask you the reason for your request as part of its regular course of business. However, you are not required to provide identification or the reason you seek the information, and your right to access public records will not depend upon providing identification or reason.
- In order to ensure that you are provided with the public records you seek in an expeditious manner, the Smithfield School Department requests that you complete the request form or otherwise provide a written request for records that clearly identifies the records you seek and state that your request is made pursuant to the Access to Public Records Act. A written request for public records need not be made on the form if the request is otherwise readily identifiable as a request for public records.
- There are times when the public records you seek are not available at the time of your request. Please be advised that the Access to Public Records Act allows a public body ten (10) business days to respond. We appreciate your understanding and patience.
- If you feel that you have been denied access to public records, you have the right to file a review petition with the Attorney General. If you are still not satisfied, you may file a lawsuit in the Superior Court.
- You will be provided with an estimate of the cost for retrieval of public records. Those costs must be paid before retrieval will commence.
- The following fees apply:
a. $.15 per page copied on 8 ½” x 11” or 8 ½” x 14” paper. Copies made on larger paper may be charged at a higher rate.
b. No more than the actual cost of providing electronic records.
c. $15.00 per hour for search and retrieval with the first hour free.
d. Or as fees are defined by state law.
SMITHFIELD SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
REQUEST FORM FOR RECORDS
UNDER THE ACCESS TO PUBLIC RECORDS ACT
Date_____________________________________________________________________________________ Request Number __________________________________________
Email Address _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OFFICE USE ONLY
Request taken by: _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Date: __________________________________________________________________________________ Time: ________________________________________________________
Date Person Informed of Cost and Availability of Records: ____________________________________________________________________________________________
Date Records Provided: ______________________________________ Mail ________________-- E-Mail ______________________ Pick Up ___________________________
Costs: Copies _______________________________________________________________________
Search and Retrieval ___________________________________________________________
ADOPTED: October 06, 2008