The Smithfield Public School District (“District”) loans each enrolled student in grades 3-12 a Chromebook laptop computer, and to students in grades 6-12, a protective case and an AC adapter. The Chromebook is provided by the School District for educational use only by students at school and at home.
Students and their parents/guardians are reminded that the use of district technology tools, resources, and services is governed by the Smithfield Public Schools “Acceptable Use Policy For Staff and Students,” IJNDC.
Only students grades 9 -12 are authorized for home use of Chromebooks. Other home uses may be authorized by the Director of Technology, any school-based administrator and or the Director of Special Education.
The use of district technology tools, resources, and services are subject to reasonable and appropriate monitoring by administration in accordance with all applicable federal and state laws.
Ownership of the Chromebook and Related Peripherals
The Smithfield Public Schools retains sole right of possession of the Chromebook and related peripherals. Moreover, Smithfield Public Schools administrative staff and faculty retain the right to collect and/or inspect Chromebooks at any time, and to alter, add or delete installed software or hardware.
Students shall have no expectation of confidentiality or privacy with respect to any usage of a district-owned Chromebook, other than as specifically provided by law. In order to comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA), the District shall filter student internet access when using the Chromebook. Internet filtering shall be in place both when the Chromebook is being used in school, as well as when it is being used away from the District’s network.
The District may, without prior notice or consent, log, monitor and supervise the use of district-owned Chromebooks at any time when there is reason to believe that the student has engaged in school-related misconduct or when there are technical difficulties with the device. By using a district-owned Chromebook, students agree to such logging, monitoring, and supervision of their use.
The District shall not make use of the camera or microphone on a district-owned or issued device for remote monitoring or data collection purposes at any time. The District shall not make use of classroom management or screen monitoring software when District-owned or issued devices are used away from the District’s network.
Responsibility for the Chromebook and Related Peripherals
Students are solely responsible for the Chromebook and peripherals assigned to them and shall adhere to the following terms and conditions:
● Students shall be actively enrolled in grades 3-12 at any of the schools in the Smithfield School District.
● Students shall comply with the Smithfield Public Schools “Acceptable Use Policy For Staff and Students” when using the Chromebook.
● Students shall bring their Chromebooks to school every day and make sure they are fully charged. If the Chromebook is missing from school for an extended period of time, the Chromebook shall be considered stolen and a police report may be filed.
● The student shall be the exclusive user of this device and shall not grant access to any other individual.
● Students shall sign into the Chromebook using their District assigned Google Apps for Education account.
● Students shall treat their device with care and never leave it in an unsecured location.
● Students shall keep their device in a protective case when traveling. Each student shall be assigned a case to be used to protect their assigned Chromebook.
● Students shall not remove or interfere with the serial number and other identification tags on the Chromebook. Each Chromebook shall be affixed with an asset label or tag.
● Students shall not attempt to disassemble, remove or change the physical structure of the Chromebook, including the keys, screen cover or plastic casing.
● Students shall not attach stickers or labels to the Chromebook or add any markings to the Chromebook. A student may purchase a removable “shell” or “skin” for the Chromebook, at their own cost, and personalize the shell or skin.
● Students shall not attempt to install or run any operating system on the Chromebook other than the ChromeOS operating system supported by the district.
● Students shall keep the device issued to them clean and shall not clean the screen with materials other than approved computer screen cleaners.
● Students shall promptly report any problems with their Chromebook to one of their teachers or by directly emailing email@example.com
● Chromebooks and peripherals shall be returned in good working order to the District at the end of each school year, at the request of the Administration of the Smithfield Public Schools, or at the time of transfer or withdrawal from the Smithfield Public Schools. Failure to return the computer in good working order shall result in the student/parents/guardian being responsible for the full replacement cost of the computer and peripherals.
Students must follow the six conditions of being a good digital citizen:
1. Respect Yourself. I will show respect for myself through my actions. I will select online names that are appropriate, I will consider the information and images that I post online. I will consider what personal information about my life, experiences, experimentation or relationships I post. I will not be obscene.
2. Protect Yourself. I will ensure that the information, images and materials I post online will not put me at risk. I will not publish my personal details, contact details or a schedule of my activities. I will report any attacks or inappropriate behavior directed at me. I will protect passwords, accounts and resources.
3. Respect Others. I will show respect to others. I will not use electronic mediums to antagonize, bully, harass or stalk other people. I will show respect for other people in my choice of websites; I will not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate. I will not abuse my rights of access and I will not enter other people's private accounts, spaces or areas.
4. Protect Others. I will protect others by reporting abuse, not forwarding inappropriate materials or communications; I will moderate unacceptable materials and conversations, and not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate.
5. Respect Intellectual Property. I will request permission to use resources. I will suitably cite any and all use of websites, books, media etc. I will acknowledge all primary sources. I will validate information. I will use and abide by the fair use rules.
6. Protect Intellectual Property. I will request to use the software and media others produce. I will use free and open source alternatives rather than pirating software. I will purchase, license and register all software. I will purchase my music and media, and refrain from distributing these in a manner that violates their licenses. I will act with integrity.
Copyright and File Sharing
Students are required to follow all copyright laws around all media including text, images, programs, applications, music, and video. Downloading, sharing, and posting online illegally obtained media is prohibited.
Spare Equipment and Lending
If the Chromebook issued to a student is inoperable, the school has a limited number of spare devices for use while the original Chromebook is repaired or replaced. This agreement shall remain in effect and is applicable to loaner computers. The student may not opt to keep an inoperable Chromebook to avoid doing class work due to loss or damage. If a student does not bring his/her Chromebook to school, the student may be required to borrow a device from the school based on direction from his/her teacher.
Equipment Damage and Repair
The District shall repair or replace damaged equipment and/or peripherals resulting from normal use. The cost of all other breakages, accidental or intentional, shall be the responsibility of the student/parent/guardian. These instances shall be reviewed on a case by case basis by the school principal and Director of Technology.
Loss or theft of the device is the responsibility of the student/parent/guardian and shall result in the student/parent/guardian being charged the full replacement cost.
Optional insurance through a third party provider shall be made available for students and their families to purchase, if they so choose. Some items may be covered by an existing homeowners/renters policy. Please check with your insurance agent about this possibility.
ADOPTED: February 14, 2015
MODIFIED: November 4, 2019