PER DIEM SUBSTITUTE EMPLOYEES REASONABLE ASSURANCE
Qualified per diem substitutes have reasonable assurance to work for the Smithfield School District with the following conditions:
- All substitutes are required to provide return to work assurance as well as a current copy of certification as applicable on an annual basis and comply with any self-study orientations distributed by the District in order to remain on the District’s substitute call list through AESOP.
- All substitutes will be called through, and recorded in AESOP, the District’s substitute caller system. Failure to use the AESOP substitute caller system may be grounds for termination.
- All substitutes are required to notify the School District of any other employment within the Town of Smithfield.
- Per Diem substitutes may not work more than 28 hours per week in the Smithfield School District, except as approved by the Superintendent for long-term substitute positions.
- Per Diem substitutes who are also part-time employees (stipend, salary or hourly) and/or coaches of the Smithfield School District may substitute/cover for the District no more than 8 hours per week.
- Any substitute who refuses work/AESOP calls more than 3 times per month, without doctor’s notes, will be removed from the AESOP sub-caller system and deemed to have voluntarily quit. In order to be added back to the substitute caller system, the person must submit a new application.
- Per Diem substitutes who are eligible for healthcare benefits through the Employer Shared Responsibility section of the Patient Protection Affordable Care Act are required to have their copayment for healthcare benefits deducted from their bi-weekly paychecks. The co-pay on an individual plan is limited to 9.5% of the substitutes W-2 wages during the stability period. However, should the employee choose to cover their dependents under a family plan, the entire difference between a family plan premium and an individual plan premium will also be deducted from the bi-weekly paychecks. At the end of the calendar year, the Business Office will calculate any balance due for the co-pay on an individual plan and/or any balance due for the difference between an individual and a family plan. Any error in the calculation of the co-pay must be reported to the Business Office immediately.