SCHOOL COMMITTEE OPERATIONAL GOALS
The School Committee's primary responsibility is to establish those purposes, programs, and procedures that will best produce the educational achievement needed by our students. The Committee is charged with accomplishing this while also being responsible for wise management of resources available to the school district. The Committee must fulfill these responsibilities by functioning primarily as a legislative body to formulate and adopt policy, by selecting an executive officer to implement policy, and by evaluating the results. It must carry out its functions openly, while seeking the comments of public, students, and staff in its decision-making processes.
In accordance with these principles, the School Committee will seek to achieve the following goals:
1. To concentrate the Committee’s collective effort on fiscal oversight, policymaking, and planning responsibilities.
2. To formulate Committee policies which best serve the educational interests of each student.
3. To provide the superintendent with sufficient and adequate guidelines for implementing Committee policies.
4. To maintain effective communication with the school community, the staff, and students in order to maintain awareness of attitudes, opinions, desires, and ideas.
5. To conduct Committee business openly, soliciting and encouraging broad-based involvement in the Committee’s decision-making processes by public, students, and staff.
SOURCE: MASC, Portsmouth RI School Committee
ADOPTED: August 30, 2021