INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS SELECTION AND ADOPTION
The review and selection of textbooks and instructional programs to be purchased by the district is a collaborative process led by the Assistant Superintendent. The Assistant Superintendent will establish a selection committee that will include principals and teachers and other staff members who will use the instructional program. The selection process will include a program review and pilot.
Because instructional programs and materials are of great importance, only those that meet the following criteria will be approved by the Committee:
- Aligned to state-adopted standards and meet the criteria set forth by the Rhode Island Department of Education.
- Contain appropriate levels of rigor for the grade level and subject area.
- Include instructional supports and strategies for meeting the needs of a range of learners.
- Present balanced views of international, national, and local issues and problems of the past, present, and future.
- Develop and foster an appreciation of cultural diversity and development in the United States and throughout the world.
- Provide an effective education for all students that does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, physical disabilities, or sexual orientation.
- Have compatibility with technology platforms and devices in use by the district.
Adopted: November 16, 2020