STUDENT LIAISON GUIDELINES
Each May, a student representative (liaison) to the School Committee will be selected to replace an outgoing representative. The process for this selection will be as follows:
1. The principal will notify students of the process for student liaison selection through an assembly or other appropriate means.
2. An application packet, approved by the superintendent, shall be completed by the applicants.
3. All applications shall be reviewed by a selection committee composed of a School Committee member, the high school principal, a social studies teacher and superintendent. A current liaison may also be invited to take part in the selection process.
4. The selection committee may, in its discretion, choose to interview finalists before their decision is made.
5. The selection committee shall use the following criteria in making the selection:
Demonstrated leadership through other positions in student organizations
Demonstration of Smithfield High School’s learner qualities.
Membership in the Sentinel Advisory Council and/or School Improvement Team is preferred.
6. The selection committee may, in its discretion, chose to leave the position vacant.
1. A student liaison shall make an earnest effort to attend all business meetings of the School Committee. The appointment as a student liaison is a commitment and a responsibility not to be taken lightly.
2. Student liaisons are responsible for preparing any needed materials for the meetings. This could include speeches, essays, research, or statements.
3. Student liaisons are responsible for communicating actions made by the School Committee to the student body, as appropriate.
4. The same standards for attendance apply for student liaisons as for School Committee members. Should a vacancy be declared in accordance with policy BBBDA, the school committee chairperson will decide if a replacement will be made based upon the length of the term that remains.
Cross-reference: BABB Student Liaison to the School Committee
ADOPTED: February 25, 2019