RULES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR USES OF EMAIL BY SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEMBERS
This policy is adopted in addition to, and not as a substitute for, the School District's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) and the Rules and Responsibilities for Uses of Email Provided by the Smithfield Public Schools (Policy IJNDBA), which govern the use of the school district's technological resources and the use of email for students and staff.
This policy is designed to:
- ensure that School Committee business is performed in accordance with open meeting rules;
- ensure that School Committee members use information technology resources in an efficient and effective manner; and
- ensure that district data and records are professionally managed.
Use of District-Provided Email for Official Business
In addition to following guidelines provided in the AUP and policy IJNDBA, School Committee members shall not:
- use other email accounts, including personal and work emails, for School Committee business;
- use email for political campaigning;
- use the email system for soliciting support from other members for issues to be considered by the Committee; or
- Use email in any other way that is incongruent to Rhode Island Open Meeting Laws (CHAPTER 42-46) (Other than during a School Committee meeting, a quorum of members may not engage in contemporaneous interactive communication, whether in person or electronically, whether together or in tandem, to discuss District business.).
Adopted: November 4, 2019
Legal References: R.I.G.L. CHAPTER 42-46
Cross-References: District Acceptable Use Policy, Policy IJNDB-A