SCHOOL ENTRANCE AGE ELIGIBILITY FOR KINDERGARTEN/GRADE 1 REQUEST FOR A WAIVER
When children do not meet the age requirements for Kindergarten or Grade 1 as set forth in policy JEB but who will turn 5 or 6 years of age, respectively, by October 15th (within 45 days), the following waiver (exception) process may be applied if the parents wish to enroll their child in that grade:
- Parent/Guardian completes the Request to Waive School Age Eligibility for Kindergarten/Grade 1 form (by February 1st)
- Parent/Guardian signs Release of Information form to permit Smithfield Public Schools to obtain all cognitive, social, emotional and developmental records from child’s current pre-school and physician (February 1st and records must be received by March 1st)
- The Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee will make arrangements for the parent/guardian to meet with the Principal of the attendance area elementary school that the child would attend (April 1st)
- The Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee will contact the parent to make arrangements for the parent/guardian who requested the waiver to schedule dates for formal assessments and observations, to be conducted by school personnel, to ensure the child excels in all areas necessary for success: cognitive, social, emotional, developmental, behavioral and achievement. The assessments will be identified by the School Department prior to the evaluations. The child must score in at least the high average range in all areas to be considered for a waiver.
- The Smithfield evaluators make a recommendation to the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee by June 1st
- The parents/guardians are informed of a conditional acceptance or denial of their waiver request by the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee by June 30th. If a conditional acceptance is granted, a final decision will be rendered by the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee no later than one week prior to the start of school. A waiver will only be granted if space is available in the area-of-attendance school Kindergarten/Grade 1 program. The Superintendent shall determine whether there is adequate classroom space to accommodate students for early enrollment so as not to place a burden on the school system.
- Students who transfer into the Smithfield School District from an accredited school or system and have completed Kindergarten, are exempt from this policy regarding age for attendance in the first grade.
- The parents have the right to appeal any decision to the Smithfield School Committee. The decision of the Smithfield School Committee is final.
ADOPTED: K - 10/20/2003; Gr. 1 - September 5, 2006
REVISED: September 4, 2007; May 4, 2009; September 3, 2013; April 2, 2018